Before the arrival of the British Settlers in 1820 the needs of the British garrison in Algoa Bay were served by chaplains in passing ships. By 1825 the town of Port Elizabeth had grown to about 500 people and Revd Francis McClelland was appointed Colonial Chaplain. The foundation stone for the Collegiate Church of St Mary the Virgin was also laid that year. The church was finally opened for worship in 1832.
- Post author:fitravel
- Post published:March 13, 2018
- Post category:Uncategorized
- Post comments:3 Comments
- Reading time:1 mins read