The historic watermill on Glen Avon farm outside Somerset East has recently been restored and is grinding grain once again.
When Somerset Farm was closed down in 1825, Robert Hart who was in charge of the experimental farm, settled on farmland adjacent to the town which he was granted in recognition of his services to the government. Here he built a homestead – Glen Avon. Hart, who was a pioneer of Merino sheep farming, farmed sheep, grew fruit, especially citrus, and grain.
The first mill on Glen Avon was built by Robert Hart Snr. in 1823 already. It was built into the hill between The Gulley and the dairy, behind Hart Cottage. This mill would have had a wooden wheel and all that remains of it is the grindstone, which is paved into the entrance of the current mill.