Today’s post is slightly outside the borders of Nelson Mandela Bay, but the Gamtoos area is very much part of the metro even if its only through close association. When the first Dutch trekboers got to the Gamtoos River in the latter part of the 1700’s, they had to move upstream to find a suitable spot to cross the river. Later a pontoon was used roughly where the Gamtoos Ferry Hotel is today. There was a call for a causeway to be erected and the present bridge on the old road was decided on. The bridge was completed and opened on the 3rd December 1895 at a cost of £20,000.