The beautiful old Victorian Railway Station in Port Elizabeth has existed on the present location since 1875 when the first line was constructed to Uitenhage about 40 kilometres away. The original building was designed by the then Resident Engineer of Harbour and Public Works in Port Elizabeth, James Bisset, with extensive additions, including the cast-iron supported roof of the main concourse, being completed by 1893. The round painted panels depicting scenes from the city were painted by Bernard Horn in the late 1980’s.
- Post author:fitravel
- Post published:November 27, 2012
- Post category:Uncategorized
- Post comments:5 Comments
- Reading time:1 mins read