South End in Port Elizabeth is similar to District 6 in Cape Town where the original inhabitants where removed because of the Group Area’s Act of the 1960’s. St Peter’s Anglican Church was built in 1877 and the school next to it was the first church school in South End to produce pupils to standard six (grade 8), the highest standard for coloured people at the time. The church was deconsecrated in 1972 and most of it demolished to stop the congregation from returning to it even though they had been removed from the area.
- Post author:fitravel
- Post published:September 10, 2012
- Post category:Uncategorized
- Post comments:2 Comments
- Reading time:1 mins read